Khotang Halesi is being popular pilgrimage place for Kirat, Hindu and Buddhist religion follower. Several people want to go there for pilgrimage purpose. That place is popular for pilgrimage, unique geographical structure and Kirat culture. Nepal Government and Nepal Tourism Board are promoting that place as a touristic place in Nepal. Several documentary and news story are covering in the media. The following YouTube videos are uploaded by Dil Rai which was broadcasted by Nepal Television for promoting the Halesi Tour.
Thursday, July 9, 2015
Thursday, June 25, 2015
are ruled by Holesung was called Halesi in history. At present, Chyasmitar,
Dikuwa, Badahare, Durchim, Dhitung and Halesi Mahadevsthan VDCs cover the area.
We should rewrite the history in the same vein with the formulation of master
plan, and other development projects. This helps correct the course of history
and evoke respect for it. The formulated action plans for Halesi are listed
- To initiate the preliminary work of temple premise conservation and
- To manage clean drinking water, public toilet and bathrooms.
- To create and develop the greenery as well as beautiful sceneries
around the Halesi temple.
- To encourage the hotel, lodge, bank, communication, transportation,
health-post and security services.
- To create awareness among people for conservation, development and ownership
of the Halesi cave.
- To create website, make documentary, publish news, research articles,
books, tourist-guide book for the publicity of Halesi.
- to commence preliminary study for the construction of museum in
accordance with the advises from the stakeholders and locals.
The midterm and long term action plan:
- To construct and expand road transportation linking Halesi cave with
historical places like Khimle (Old Halesi), The Kotdanda’s Kirat palace
(Durchim), Bhumjudanda ( Chyasmitar), Lahachudanda (Dhitung),
Tuwachung/Jayajungdanda (Halesi); to excavate the archeological sites; to make
physical facilities avail easily. It helps increase the comfort of the tourists
thereby extending their days in the site. The residents of Halesi will be
highly benefited by this. This will also help attracting the researchers.·
To make a view tower in Bhamjudanda, Kotdanda and Tuwachung/
Jayajungdanda so that the entire tarai and mountain landscape could be seen.
- To make a detailed geographic survey in cooperation with the concerned
- To make the meditation places.
- To create Halesi museum.
- To make ring road around the Halesi.
- To make detailed and scientific Halesi urbanization plan under Puspa
Lal Lok Marga.
- To make airport at Kotdanda ( Durchhim).
- To open an alternative foot track linking tarai, hills and himalayanm
- To start raffting in Sunkoshi, Bhotekoshi, Tamakoshi, Dudhkoshi
- To start a cable car service that joins Sagarmatha, Tayachung,
Barahachhetra to Halesi.
Wednesday, February 25, 2015
Halesi is common pilgrimage place for the Kirats, the Buddhist and the Hindu. They have their own historical claim regarding Halesi.
- Kirat Mundhum, folk stories and other historical documents data back the Kirati civilization in Halesi to the pre-historic time. The ancient Mudhumi word for Halesi is 'Khuwalung'. The Kirati ancestors Toyama, Khiyama and Raichakule (Khokchilipa/Hechchhakupa) are supposed to have transformed their civilization into agricultural ara. In Tuwachung hill, people have found ancient remnants of archeological importance like pottery, igniting stone and weaver. This justifies the aforementioned claim that Kirat civilization in Halesi really ancient.
- Naga's ancient graves with Pulik garland have recently been found in the site. It is said that a great famine drove them away from Halesi. The great Chinese traveler of seventh century Hwen Sang has mentioned about it in his travelogue. Naga Kirats might have abandoned the around the same time.
- According to the latest history, the King Holesung was the first tribal chieftain/ruler of Halesi area. He was entrusted as a subordinated ruler by the Sen Dynasty. Holesung Honchha had participated on behalf of Sen Dynasty in a battle between Sen and Makwan in 1728 and 1729 AD. The remnants of his palace are still in Khimle of Durchhim VDC, Khotang. The nomenclature Halesi might have been derived from the King Holesung. King Prithivi Narayan Shaha defeated Bhwanram, the grandson of Holesung, making is a part of greater Nepal. The location of his palace is in Kotdada of Durchhim VDC, Khotang.
- According to the Buddhist, the 8th Monk Padmasambhava had meditated in Halesi while he was in route to Tibet during reign of Tibetan king Thrisang (742-797 AD). Mesmerized by the sublimity of the cave he exclaimed the word 'Halesu'. In Tibetan language it means something that is amazing. According to the Buddhist, this is how the name Halesi is derived.
- Hindus coin the word Halesi with the myth of Mahadev and Bhasmasur. According to the myth Bhasmasur was blessed Mahadev with the power to kill anyone just by placing his hand over the head. This myth too is related to Halesi. They believe that Halesi comes from Hari and Iswor. Halesi is called 'Eastern Pashupati'. During the time of the King Gyanendra Shah, Halesi Mahadev was given 'Birta' and later on Giris were appointed as a head priest in Halesi.
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
The Halesi is situated in Eastern part from Kathmandu. So when you arrive in Kathmandu there are two options for you to rich there, by Airplane or by Bus. If you choose by airplane, you have to fly Kathmandu to Lamidanda and walk more one day easily, or 4 hours by Bus/Jeep. But there is not regular public bus service from Lamidanda to Halesi. Lamidanda is the nearest airport for Halesi. If you want to pay more you can charter small helicopter directly from Kathmandu to Halesi. If you choose by Bus from Kathmandu to Halesi there are two roads, one is shorter but in under construction may be ready very soon within a few months and another is longer high way. So I am giving instruction about that longer high way. You go to Katari Bazaar (Udayapur district) it takes 12 hour by Bus. There is night and day bus service from Kathmandu to Katari. After Katari, take another bus for 4 hour to Ghurmi Bazaar, at the bank of Sunkoshi River many bus is available there, earlier is better. The Ghurmi bazaar is the big trading center for Khotang and Okhldhunga district. After Ghurmi Bazaar cross the Sunkoshi river and take another bus for 4– 5 hours for Halesi. There is daily bus service from Sunkoshi to Diktel bazaar via Halesi. But from Sunkoshi River, the road is not permanent, in rainy season it may not go up because of muddy road. July to September is rainy season in Nepal, so do not plan to visit in these months. Lodging and food are normal type home stay and village; you do not get luxury type after leaving from Kathmandu.
|Mong in Halesi|
|Crossing the Sunkoshi river|
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Nepal supposed to be a place of God since ancient period. Nepal has own identity because of own arts, religion, culture, historical and archeological heritage. Many temples, monasteries, stupas and historical places are so popular for the tourism in Nepal.
Halesi Mahadev cave is a destination for religious and cultural tourism. The Halesi Mahadev cave is situated at elevation of 1400m.from the sea level in Khotang district, Sagarmatha (Everest) zone, East of Nepal. The place Halesi Mahadevthan is made by a special kind of rock. There are four big caves and small many caves.
Caves have many names according to religious view, the main cave Mahadevthan is located at mid part of among the cave. Basaha cave, Panhawati and kakani cave are located in west side and Bhairavthan, Kalikathan and Gurdhum cave are located in east side of Mahadevthan. There are many legend according to Kirat, Hindu and Buddhist about Halesi.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Halesi is a one of the famous holy place of Nepal. It is equally popular among the Kirati, Buddhists and Hindus. It is second Pashupatinath for Hindu. Pilgrimes believe their wishes come true if they worship God and Goddess. Halesi tour is being popular in Nepal.
Monastery in Helesi
Intrance gate To Mahadev Cave